Heartburn is the first VST software synthesizer available from Tiny God. It's a fairly conventional virtual-analog style, additive-subtractive synthesizer, but has a number of features which set it apart. The monophonic demo version of Heartburn is free.
• The mutation feature, when enabled, causes Heartburn's settings to change with every note played, in order to explore all the sounds the synth is capable of. The mutation rate is widely variable, from vanishingly slight adjustments of the patch to a totally different sound on every note. Many VST hosts support random patch generation, but Heartburn allows finer control and knows which controls not to mess with.
• Patch morphing and breeding. At any time, you can store the current settings to the "Mother" or "Father" slot, then morph smoothly between them in real time, within a note, with the modulation wheel on your MIDI controller, or just click the "Breed" button to try out a different "child" of the parent patches.
• 3 alias-free wavetable oscillators, each offering 36 different selectable waveforms that go far beyond the conventional analog synth offerings.
• An external input channel allowing other VST audio sources to modulate oscillators or take advantage of Heartburn's flexible filters.1
• A conventional variable-cutoff resonant filter offering 12dB/octave lowpass, highpass, bandpass, and notch modes as well as a 24dB/octave lowpass mode.
• A vocal formant filter capable of producing vowel-like sounds.
• 3 unique LFO/envelope generators, each of which can be selected as a modulation source for the pitch and amplitude of each oscillator, the gain of the external input channel, the conventional filter, and the formant filter.
The demo package contains two versions of Heartburn:
• The "host-interface" version uses the VST host's user interface instead of providing a custom GUI, has all features of Heartburn except morph/breed, and is polyphonic up to 32 voices. (This version is now named HeartburnDemo.dll, and is frozen at v1.05; I strongly recommend getting off of this version and onto one of the GUI versions.)
• The "GUI demo" version has an easy-to-use custom interface panel, including morphing and breeding features, but is monophonic. (This version is now named HeartburnGUIDemo.dll)
These versions are not time-limited or crippled in any other way.
Download the Heartburn Demo Package for 32-bit Windows
The full version provides the custom user interface, morphing and breeding
features, and 32-voice polyphony. It is priced at US$25, and as of version 1.1
the registered version includes a pro-quality bank of 64 patches from sound
designer Ben Crosland.
Purchase Full GUI Version of Heartburn!
"Actually...for any Throbbing Gristle fans out
there... you probably want this synth very very badly."